Monday 18 March 2019

Azure billing, cosmosdb, a tale on monitoring costs

Azure billing, cosmosdb and a tale on monitoring costs


I found an extra MSFT line item on my credit card, for a few dollars, not too much but enough for a nice lunch out. Not sure how I missed it. I did have cosmosdb from the free trial running at 100 RU/s and I think the trial ended. So looking at my invoice I could momentarily see nothing as at one point it was saying resource not available, but since corrected itself.

Account Subscription billing data

On the summary page, a link to the Version 1 downloadable data throws me an error "https://account.azure.com/Error/404" 

Clicking on "Download invoice" confirms "Azure Cosmos DB 100 RU/s AU East"

By the way, clicking the downloadable CSV option Version 2- Preview results in a file with plenty of info and I could tell which resources at a high level and over the period.

Subscription cost analysis

The cost analysis chart shows me how cosmos was chewing through dollars since 01 Feb. Useful but tells me I've now paid way more than a nice lunch.

Uh, Deleted

Easy, I've deleted the cosmosdb instance. I've also opted in to my emails to other email accounts because this one slipped through and the billing invoice was missed.

Cost optimisation - you must monitor all costs in your cloud consumption and determine if the service you are consuming is at the right tier or can be downscaled, or in this instance uh, deleted.

Cheers
Quintes
Togaf 9 Certified Architect
Professional Scrum Master I (PSM I) Certified

Connect with me on LinkedIn or Twitter